• 7 nights in a private spacious tipi tent
• Sleep in comfortable premium mattresses
• Tents have lighting, power and bed linen
• 7 breakfasts with daily specials
• 5 dinners including salad and dessert
• Use of the surf equipment outside lessons
• 2 hour surf theory lesson
• Nannies while adults surf or practice yoga
• Free photos and weekly video
• Kids activities during the week
• Evening entertainment (pub quiz, movie night, live music)
• Use of the facilities (swimming pool, bikes, skates)
Our surf camp is shaped by families for families. Everything has been made with families in mind. The camp is right in front of the beach so no need to walk a lot with the kids, the campsite has great facilities, our surf instructors and crew are really good with kids. We organise activities for the whole family.
The word "Glamping" comes from the words Glamorous and Camping, it is a form of camping with accommodation and facilities more luxurious than traditional camping, The tents you will be sleeping in are very spacious bell tents with premium mattresses, light, and electricity. It is perfect for a family.
The Surf Camp has a kitchen with fridges you can use, a couple of chill zones, board and card games, bikes, skates, and a bar for the parents. The camping park has a playground, a swimming pool, a sports court, a restaurant, a minimarket, and sanitary blocks. There is also a golf course next to the camp for golf enthusiasts.
Key Highlights of the camp:
Family Tipi Tent
Tipi tent with a double bed and 2 single beds for the children.
Surfing For Adults
Surfing For Kids
Skating & other Activities
Photos & Videos included
Clean & Safe
Is it safe to go to your surfcamp during Covid?
Where is the Surf Camp?
Our surf camp is based in the north of Portugal, on a little beach village called Estela in the municipality of Póvoa de Varzim about 30km north of Porto. Click here for Google maps link
The surf camp is set in the camping park of Orbitur Rio Alto, a 4-star rated campsite certified and recognized by the quality of its services and its facilities. It is located right in front of the beach with direct and private access to the beach. It has free wifi, shower blocks with continuous hot water, a mini-market, restaurant, bar, self-service, social halls, free swimming-pool for users, and a playground for kids. Check the camping park website here.
The beach is a quiet beach due to its private access and only customers of the surf camp and the camping park can access it, this means we are the only surfers there. You can surf with no crowds.
How do I get to the surf camp?
We have a free shuttle from the metro Póvoa de Varzim to the Surf Camp, check below for details.
- If you want to travel from Porto or the airport by public transport, you’ll find some helpful links below. You can take the metro to Póvoa de Varzim (line B) and get a free shuttle to the camp from there. If you want to use this service, please let us know your arrival time in Póvoa de Varzim. More information on https://www.porto.fr/metro.
- If you arrive by car, enter the following address into your navigation system: Camping Orbitur Rio Alto, EN 13 - Km 13, Lugar do Rio Alto, 4570-275 Estela - Póvoa de Varzim. You can park your car on the external car park of the campsite or inside the campsite, both come with additional costs payable upon arrival directly to the camping park. Click here for Google maps link.
- If you would like to be picked up from Porto airport (OPO) and taken directly to the surf camp, you can either get a taxi for about 40€ (there are always taxis waiting when exiting the airport) or you can get an uber. If you would like to book a bigger taxi (up to 8 people) please get in touch with us via [email protected] we would be happy to help.
If you are traveling from the UK, don't forget to check out Parkhero for great value airport parking.
Once you arrive at the campsite Orbitur Rio Alto, go to the reception and let them know that you’re staying with I Surf Portugal, they will guide you to the surf camp. In the evening, you will meet with the rest of the crew and the other guests to enjoy a welcome meal together!
What time are check-ins and checkouts?
Check-in is possible from 3 pm
Checkouts are at 11 am
What do I need to bring?
- Towels for the beach and for the bathroom
- Warm clothing for the evenings (it can get cool at night)
- Sunscreen and sun hats etc.
- EU electricity adapter (for guests from the UK or outside EU)
- All bedding and linen
- Parasols and windbreaker if needed
- All surf gear
Can I arrive and leave on any day?
During low season, 05/06/2021 to 03/7/2021 & 28/08/2021 to 18/09/2021, you can arrive and leave on different days than on Saturdays as long as you stay a minimum of 7 nights. However, if you can, we recommend you check-in and out on Saturdays as we have a weekly schedule.
During high season, 03/07/2021 to 28/08/2021, arrivals and departures are always on Saturdays.
If you are interested in a customised package, please get in touch with us.
I would like to stay more than 1 week, is there any discount?
Yes, there is! There is a 10% discount on the price of the accommodation for the second week and after. Get in touch for a quote or to book.
My children do not speak English, what language can they have surf lessons?
Kids lessons can be taught in English, German, French and Spanish so your children will be able to understand everything. If your children do not speak one of these languages, you can always stay with them when we do the theory lesson on the beach to translate.
I have a special diet, can I still come?
We also cater for vegetarians and vegans! Let us know if you have special diet requirements or food intolerance when you book, so we can make sure that we can cater to your needs.
I am travelling with a baby, what amenities are they?
We have baby cots available we can install in your tent. We also have high chairs in the eating area. In the sanitary block, there is a baby bath and a changing table. You can access the open guest kitchen in case you need to prepare any special meals for your little one.
How far is the beach from the camp?
The beach is a 2-minute walk from the camp.
How can I book?
The easiest way is to book online directly, just click on Book Now and you'll be taken to a secure payment page. If you have any questions you can always contact us and we'll be happy to help.
We require a 50% deposit at the time of booking to secure your reservation, the remaining 50% is due up to 30 days before arrival.
For more information or to book off-season dates, please get in touch.